Our PhD is a research degree designed to create advanced knowledge in specific areas of research. SBM UUM focuses on seven competency areas, which are, Management, Leadership, Human Resources, Entrepreneurship; Marketing, Business Information Systems and Sustainability & Community Development. Research students are guided by our faculty members dedicated to research at the frontiers of their fields. Entrance into the programme is very competitive. Prior to submitting their applications, candidates are required to prepare a good research proposal and then communicate with their potential supervisors. Carrying the status as the only university in Malaysia and probably in the world that specializes in management education, SBM manages to attract students from across the globe to join our unique research community. We are proud to say that more than 60% percent of about 500 PhD students (OYA Graduate School of Business and College of Business combined) come from various continents such as Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Africa and the Middle East. We only invite those with the brightest and creative minds to be part of our research community and be transformed into innovative researchers.
Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme must possess:
- A master’s degree from Universiti Utara Malaysia or any other institutions of higher learning recognised by the University. For a master's degree with CGPA, the minimun CGPA is 3.00; or
- Any other equivalent qualifications recognised by the university; and
- Fulfil the English language requirement.
- Provide a letter of motivation and research proposal (min. 1,000 words). Those whopse proposal passes initial screening by the Programme Director will be called for an interview (in person or virtually).
- Propose a potential supervisor, preferably who has already agreed to supervise the applicant. Applicants should visit the School's website to identify the potential supervisor they would like to eork with.
- For sponsored applicant : Letter of Undertaking
- For self sponsored :
- ASEAN countries: Minimum balance of USD2,500.00 in own account
- Non ASEAN countries : Minimum balance of USD5,000.00 in own account
If you need help or more information during the application process, please feel free to contact us via phone or email. (+604-928 7111/7120/7121 or email@example.com)
International applicants should meet any one of the following English requirements before they are accepted for admission into the programmes. Students must obtain:
All International postgraduate students should meet any one of the following English Language requirements set by the University before they are accepted for admission.
For direct admission, International Postgraduate Students must have obtained one of the following:
- 550 in the TOEFL Paper Based Test; OR
- 80 in the TOEFL Internet Based Test; OR
- Band 6.0 in the IELTS; OR
- A degree from any Public University in Malaysia with English as a language of instruction; OR
- A degree from any of the countries below where English is the language of instruction in their educational system.
Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Botswana, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Island, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guam, Guernsey, Guyana, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U.S Virgin Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS
The cost of higher education is increasing, either due to inflation or other economic factors. As such, with the increasing cost of education and the demand of higher education, education scholarships and study loans becomes an essential.
For Local Students
- MyBRAIN15 (MyPh.D/ MyMASTER/ Ph.D Industry) under the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (MOHE).
- National Science Fellowship (NSF) under the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation Malaysia (MOSTI).
- PTPTN under Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi Nasional, Malaysia.
For International Students
- Malaysia International Scholarship under the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Malaysia.
- Commonwealth Scholarship And Fellowship Plan (CSFP) Tenable In Malaysia under the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Malaysia, for students from the Commonwealth Countries.
What is a PhD?
Symposiums: To assist students in their PhD research, arranged by the respective schools for students to present their research work. At least one (1) reviewer(s) will be appointed based on their expertise, provide feedback to the students. The students need to present their initial research ideas, research design and instruments to prepare them for data collection and present their research findings to prepare them for final write-ups and the viva.